1. Reduce emissions
Use less the private car , whenever you can, use sustainable means of transport, such as the bicycle , or use public transport more . Before long distances, the most sustainable is the train, above the plane, which causes a large part of the CO 2 emissions emitted into the atmosphere. If yours is the car, remember that every kilometer that you increase the speed, considerably increases the CO 2 and the expense. According to the EC, every liter of fuel consumed by the car, represents about 2.5 kilos of CO 2 emitted into the atmosphere.
2. Save energy
Look at the labels of the appliances, and never leave them on stand by. Always adjust the thermostat, both for heating and for air conditioning. Taking care of the use of household appliances at home, we can save energy and, of course, money at the end of the month.
3. Put into practice the 3 ‘R’ of sustainability
– Reduce: consume less, more efficiently.
– Reuse : take advantage of the second-hand markets, to give another opportunity to what you no longer use or get something you need and that another person has discarded. You will save money and you will reduce consumption. Also practice the exchange.
– Recycling: packaging, electronic wast , etc. Do you know that you can save more than 730 kilos of CO 2 per year just by recycling half of the waste generated in the home?
4. The diet? Low carbon
A low carbon diet means consuming more intelligently:
– Reduces the consumption of meats (livestock is one of the biggest pollutants in the atmosphere) and increases that of fruits, vegetables.
– All products, proximity and seasonal: read the labeling and consume those that have a near origin, avoiding imports that involve extra emissions for transport. Consume also seasonal products, to avoid other less sustainable production modes.
– Try to consume more bio products , since less pesticides and other chemicals are used in their production.
– Avoid as much as you can excessive packaging and processed foods.
5. Acts against the loss of forests
– To the extent that you can, avoid what causes fire risks.
– If you want to buy wood , bet on the one with certification or seal that ensures its sustainable origin.
– Plant a tree! In all its life, it can absorb up to a ton of CO 2.
6. Demand governments
It demands that measures be taken towards a more sustainable life, through many actions that are in your hand: promote renewable energies , regulate measures such as correct labeling of products (fishing method when consuming fish, labeling that specify origin of products, if they are or non-transgenic, etc.), promote more sustainable public transport, motivate the use of bicycles and other non-polluting transport in the city, correctly manage waste by recycling-reusing, etc. …
The population has more strength than it believes, and demanding action from governments gets a more global awareness about the problem of global warming. Think global, and act locally. Your actions are necessary in the fight against climate change. We have told you some initiatives to reduce climate change that we all can carry out. Do you have other ideas on how you can act? Share them with us!